Monday, October 20, 2008

Phil Came to VISIT!!

Anyone who knows me knows how exiting this is! I miss the boy too much to express, and while saying goodbye never seems to get easier it will always be worth whatever time I get with him.

We had a great time while he was here and I'll share my favorite pictures and favorite stories.


On the Saturday after his arrival we helped a friend of mine host a Latino celebration/carnival for her work group. We had a great time, but apparently I did not understand the fundamentals to the three-legged race. Check out that bruise! It wraps around the front too. We also learned to dance the salsa, Phil is a master in the making.






My roommate gave us a hot tip on an apple orchard where you can pick as many apples as you want and only pay 10 cents a pound. So on Monday (or maybe Tuesday) we hopped in the car and headed out! We got 6 1/2 pounds, a well spent 65 cents. The apples seem to have discoloration on their skins, and Phil suspects some sort of mold in the after math of the floods. But, it wipes right off and the apples are yummy.



Phil made a special request for "Nicki mashed potatoes" which apparently included a country gravy. Don't ask me, I have no idea. But, what the man wants the man gets . . . I guess he wasn't kidding. That pile is half the plate! (P.S. After all the fuss over the gravy I had to remind him it was there, you know, in case he wanted some. ;) My favorite part was the Cajun chicken he whipped up. Delicious!



I wanted cake so we baked a yellow cake with vanilla frosting. We ate a little (it was 2 am by the time it was done) and went to bed. I covered the cake with a towel so it would not dry out. The next afternoon I was making lunch and asking Phil what he wanted. He came to stand by me and leaned on the "counter." He put his hand on the towel and rested his weight into the cake! He, he, he, he. I think this is so funny! In the picture you can kind of see the towel-patterned hand print. He, he.


On Friday my roommate Amy and her date let us crash their party and carve pumpkins with them. It was so much fun!! Our perfectionist natures showed themselves and we were only able to carve one in the time it took them to carve two, put we're rather proud of that jack o'lantern. We put a flashlight inside to see what it would look like . . . pretty scary.






Now, I'll end with my favorite story for the week. There is no picture because I didn't have the heart. One morning I woke up and checked up on Phil on his Coleman air mattress (what a trooper). I asked him how he slept. He reported that he didn't sleep well because he was cold all night. In his groggy voice and with a groggy face he informed me that he was just too tall for the blankets I had put on his "bed." What? How is this possible? I made one of those blankets myself . . . "See. My feet stick out the end." Yep, folks. Somehow during the night he had managed to turn all of his covers horizontally across the bed. Poor guy. I tucked him back in properly and didn't laugh until later! I must be the best girl friend ever.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Awww... it sounds like you had so much fun, and those are certainly some cute stories!! Happy days for you!!!!

Kelly said...

Sounds like such a fun trip! It was so good to talk to you yesterday!

George Marie said...

Aww, cute. Our Branch Carving efforts, as well as numerous pumpkins I've come to see throughout the week raise one fundamental issue. How come no one ever makes cross-eyed pumpkins;)?