Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Midterms

I went to a good friend's wedding this weekend. I suppose a wedding can count as a kind of midterm. You've been molding yourself with special characteristics through this life, hopefully ones that will blend well with someone you choose to spend the rest of it with. The great middle ground is the wedding day. The test? Will everyone make it out alive!


This one was no contest, it was one of the most beautiful weddings I've ever seen. Katie was beautiful, her husband was 10 ft. tall. She had to tilt her head expectantly and wait for the kiss!


As any good friends do, Annette and I heard all about pre-wedding planning and anxiety. I was worried I would find Katie is a state of near hysteria-or at least developing the early awakenings of her very first ulcer. But, no! In fact, I believe she is my idea of a perfect bride. She was well aware that her D.J. was a middle-aged woman whose hair declared her to be an '80's enthusiast and whose musical selections reflected as much. However, she was content with the evening and her self, without exuding an over-bearing sense of self-importance. As the dance floor opened up for all married couples Katie wondered, "Now, where is my husband?" (1st, but certainly not the last time she'll say that. Also, hint: check the bar.) Then, her eyes lit up and "I have a husband!" was her simple and satisfied pronouncement for the evening. I still get goose-bumps as I remember how happy they were.













Speaking of goose-bumps . . . here is a seasonal piece that a few of us wrote at F.H.E. last night (Lyrics written to replace those for the song Part of Your World, The Little Mermaid):

Our theme was Slasher Films--

Look at those knives
& all their sheaths
That stupid girl's just under those sheets!
Wouldn't you think she could hear . . .
The sinister breathing?

He's done slashing and hacking aplenty,
He's got a mad obsession with gore.
If it's goose bumps you want, you'll have plenty.
But, who cares?
No big deal
Where's the gore?!?!

I wanna see where the crepos are
I wanna see
Wanna see em killing
Lurking around in
(what'd call it?) 0h- plain sight!
With romance you don't get too far
Kinves are required for slashing and hacking
Cutting up girls who are
(what's the word again?) Blonde.

Out where they hack
Out where they lurk
Out where they kill all night in the dark
Creepy & sick, wish I could watch . . .
slasher movies.

Lyrics by: Nicki, Kim, Luke, Trevor and Elder Anderson (I won't tell the mission president, if you don't.)

Happy Halloween!

PS I just finished my Computing Foundations Midterm, and I can't think of anything more horrific . . . I definitely deserve a treat.

No comments: